Ackworth has always been a co-educational, boarding and day school. For over 230 years, we have maintained a passion for teaching and learning. We are proud of our traditions and family values, but equally proud of our innovative approach to co-education.
A Message from the Head
Ackworth is a dynamic and forward-thinking school. We strive to develop resilient individuals who not only think creatively, but also act ethically and with responsibility. We encourage our students to express themselves with confidence, to embody the Quaker value of speaking respectfully to others, but also in a way that is true to themselves and their beliefs.
Located in a beautiful rural setting in Yorkshire, we offer broad educational opportunities from nursery age to sixth form, for day pupils and boarders.
Some of these opportunities are:
- proven academic performance
- a safe and supportive atmosphere
- the strength of quiet reflection
- excellent sport, music, drama, visual arts and recreational facilities
Please come and visit us. I look forward to welcoming you to Ackworth.
– Anton Maree, Head.
Ackworth School’s purpose is to create a happy and secure environment in which all pupils realise and develop their own special abilities in constant awareness of the needs and claims of others.
- To develop a well integrated and self-disciplined community, with an international dimension, in which the values of Quakers are seen to underpin the school.
- To help all pupils to progress at a pace appropriate to their age, aptitude, interests and ability, to achieve the best external examination results of which they are capable and to leave school equipped to lead a full and responsible life in the adult world.
- To provide, and encourage the use of, the widest possible range of opportunities e.g. sporting, creative and recreational, outside the formal curriculum.
- To help pupils to grow in self-respect and to appreciate and enjoy the benefits of good health.
- To encourage pupils to consider others before self, to look for the good in people and to be honest and trustworthy at all times.
- To encourage service to others within and beyond school.
- To provide, in conjunction with parents and guardians, care and support for pupils as they develop and mature.
- To help pupils to value their fine surroundings and the word of those who maintain them and to extend their appreciation to an understanding of wider environmental issues.
Boarders enrich our school with their languages and culture, adding their own special warmth and experience.
- Preparing students for life beyond school under the watchful eye of tutors
- A culturally and economically diverse community
- Develop respect, patience, kindness, humour, honesty as well as confidence and independence
- An understanding of the British culture and education system
- Learn lessons for life that will lay a solid foundation for adulthood
- Build a network of friends and acquaintances who know you and care about you
- Accesss to extensive sports, music, art and technology facilities as well as our spacious grounds
- Two boarding houses, one for boys, one for girls
- Dedicated and experienced resident staff in each house to help with mentoring and supervision
- Modern study bedrooms, some with en-suite facilities
- A full programme of after-school and weekend activities
- A quarter of the school boards, integrated houses with 20 nationalities: English is the common language
- Strong cross year and gender relationships